2012 NFL Draft Winners
While it’s entirely too early to judge this draft class, the following teams have caught my eye because they’ve addressed needs with who I believe are quality players based on my pre-draft evaluation.
Philadelphia Eagles: (Cox, Kendricks, Curry, Foles, Boykin)
- Addressed glaring need and weakness in the middle of their defense. First by trading for new captain (I’m assuming) DeMeco Ryan. Next making the move to draft Fletcher Cox who will provide much needed pressure inside and team with a very strong pair of DEs. On Day 2, they continued to strengthen the belly of their defense with the selections of LB Kendricks and DE Curry. Not only has Philly addressed their needs, they did it by selecting proven players. Which also continued on Saturday when they selecting the playmaking CB, Brandon Boykin, who will compete for the nickel corner job and return kicks.
Cincinnati Bengals (Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Still, Thompson, Charles)
- Cincy continues to work the NFL Draft well. On Day 2 they bolstered their defensive line, as has become customary for the team. Kirkpatrick was the last first round corner in a talented class and gives them a sure tackler as well as youth in the secondary. They traded back instead of getting DeCastro, but still ended up with Zeitler. Charles was my second rated TE and I love his two year growth potential.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Barron, Martin, David)
- New coach Greg Schiano is already putting him imprint on this team, drafting tough-minded leaders. Barron will lead or organize what was a sorry defensive squad last year. Martin is a Ray Rice type who will form a strong combo with Blount. David was a nice grab at the position, where he will fill a need that was much bigger than anticipated before last season.
Pittsburgh Steelers: (DeCastro, Adams, Spence, Ta’amu)
- Likely drafted two starters for their offensive line, which was really struggled over the last few years. DeCastro looks like he will be a mauler for the next 10+ years and Smith has LT skills, but fell due to character concerns. Spence is one of the most athletic defensive players in the draft and could be lethal off the edge. Alameda Ta’amu will immediately step in and get snaps at NT.
Indianapolis Colts (Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton)
- Starting from the ground up, after two day they have a new look to their offense. Of course, Andrew Luck will be at the helm for presumably a long time. On Friday they added a pair of TEs in Coby Fleener and Allen. Fleener was his favorite target at Stanford, where he was shifting to multiple formations with two tight ends. Lastly, they got one of the most explosive players in the draft, T.Y. Hilton. He is a vertical threat and step in immediately in the slot, also a dangerous return man. They ignored defense, but at least addressed the future of their offense.
Minnesota Vikings (Kalil, Smith, Robinson, Wright, Ellison)
- Amazingly, convinced the Browns to give them picks to move one spot. Total win. Kalil was one of the top prospects in the draft and fits a huge need. Ponder needs the protection and he makes the whole line better right away. Harrison Smith is a smart player who can help this secondary right away. Robinson blew up after the combine where he ran 4.29 and comes from a UCF program that was produced more than a few players in the league. Wright was the first of their “free” picks from the Browns and good pick.
Others I Like
- Green Bay (Perry, Worthy, Heyward)
- Chargers (Ingram, Reyes, Taylor, Green)
- Patriots (Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Bequette)
- Titans (Wright, Brown, Martin, Sensabaugh)
- Detroit (Reiff, Broyles, Bentley, R. Lewis)
- NY Giants (Wilson, Randle, Hosley, Robinson, Mosley)
Entry filed under: Fantasy Football, NFL, NFL Draft, Sports. Tags: 2012 nfl draft, 2012 nfl draft winners, american football, best nfl draft, best picks in nfl draft, day two analysis, Football, NFL Draft, nfl draft analysis, nfl draft grades 2012, NFL Draft recap, Sports, who won the draft.